Millions of people across the country suffer from common vision problems including short-sightedness, long-sightedness, and astigmatism. In these eye conditions, the delicate lens of the eye, or cornea, is malformed. This means that the rays of light entering the eye are scattered in a way that results in less-than-perfect vision. The good news is that LASIK surgery can correct many such cases quickly and safely.
What Is LASIK Surgery and How Can it Help?
Laser In-Situ Keratomileusis (or LASIK for short) is a procedure where a small flap of corneal tissue is carefully cut, raised, and then reshaped by a laser. Whilst it is a procedure that requires care and the use of high-grade electronics, it is also now considered a very routine form of eye surgery and many people benefit greatly from it each year.
Those with astigmatism, short-sightedness, and long-sightedness are typically those most eligible for LASIK in San Antonio. The benefits of LASIK surgery are as follows:
- Safe: Though no surgery is without risks, LASIK surgery is increasingly common and is considered safe in the context of surgery. Though there can be complications, as with any surgery, this is rare and most people find that the procedure goes without so much as a hitch.
- Success: The other good news is that LASIK has been shown to be successful in most cases at restoring perfect vision or improved vision.
- Recovery time: In the days before LASIK, eye surgery was riskier and the recovery took a lot longer. By contrast, LASIK surgery requires very little recovery time. It is day surgery and, in most cases, patients do not need any bandages or stitches. In fact, many patients find that they are able to see with improved clarity very soon after the surgery.
- Flexibility: The shape of the cornea has been known to change shape as we age. For people who have undergone LASIK surgery, this means that their vision may change over time. The good news is that someone who has undergone LASIK surgery can go back and undergo modification even years after the initial procedure.
- Pain: One thing that most people fear when it comes to surgery is the pain. One of the biggest feature of LASIK surgery is that there is very little to no pain at all either during the procedure or during recovery.
Correcting Your Faulty Vision for Good
Millions of people around the country need to wear glasses and contact lenses due to common vision problems such as astigmatism, short-sightedness, and long-sightedness. LASIK eye surgery is increasingly common and can correct these vision defects quickly and with very little to no pain at all.